UE4-FortniteGame – An Unreal Process Crashed
Fortnite runs with what’s known as the “Unreal Engine” – a piece of software developed by Epic Games to provide 3D gaming functionality to other developers.
Whilst the Unreal Engine element of the likes of Fortnite is generally kept out of view of the end user, it’s present and an essential part of the likes of Fortnite, PUBG and other leading games.
Unfortunately, it can be the case that the engine becomes damaged or corrupted, leading to strange errors – such as the “An Unreal Process Crashed: UE4-FortniteGame” error.
The cause of this error is down to the way in which Windows is unable to work with the UnrealEngine application, required by the likes of Fortnite to operate.
The problem is typically caused by issues with settings inside Windows (which can include the registry), or with integration problems with the likes of DirectX and other third party libraries.
To fix it, you need to first ensure that the Fortnite application is being operated correctly, and then that you’re able to clean up any potentially damaged settings in the likes of the Windows registry or other third party libraries.
1. Change Compatibility Settings For Fortnite
The first step is to ensure that you have the correct “compatibility” settings for Fortnite.
This is a standard Windows process, which basically allows any version of Windows after 7 to run “older” software (designed for the likes of XP etc).
- Press “Windows” + “E” keys on your keyboard
- Browse to “C:/Program Files/Epic Games/Fortnite/FortniteGame/Binaries/Win64”
- Scroll down to “FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe”
- Select “Properties”
- From the top “tabs”, select “Compatibility”
- Scroll down and check “Disable OnScreen Optimizations”
- Click OK
- Repeat this for any of the “FortniteClient… ” EXE files in the /Win64 folder
- Try the game again
2. Use Fortnite “Verify” Trick
The next step is to try using the “verify” tool from within the Epic Games launcher.
To do this is actually very simple:
- If you’ve exited the “File Explorer” part of Windows, load it up again
- Browse to the folder you were just at, and this time DELETE the “FortniteClient-Win64… ” file
- After doing this, click onto the “Epic Games Launcher” on your desktop
- Select “Fortnite”
- Next to the green “Launch” button, select the small cog icon
- From the dropdown, select “Verify”
- This will perform a scan of your game’s files
- Let the scan finish and perform any fixes
- Restart your PC and try the game again
3. Change Registry Setting Inside Windows
The Windows registry is a central database responsible for storing everything from your desktop wallpaper to which applications you’ve used recently.
As you use your system, various elements of this database can become damaged or corrupted – leading to errors such as the one you’re experiencing.
To fix this, you can actually go into it and change any settings that have been identified as causing the error:
- Press “Windows” + “S” keys on your keyboard
- Type “Rededit”, right-click on the first listing which appears and select “Run as Administrator”
- Browse to the following: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers”
- Right-click and select “New” > “REG_DWORD”
- Change its name to “TdrDelay”
- Change its data to “00000008”
- Exit the registry editor
- Restart your PC
- Try the game again
If the above does not work, it suggests you have a problem with another aspect of the system.
Unfortunately, since the UnrealEngine is embedded within Fortnite, it’s not something you can manually uninstall without causing further issues.
If you wanted to try it, you may be best to reinstall the Fortnite game completely, or if you need further support, it would be recommended you talk to someone with specific knowledge/experience with your system.
There are several communities online which have the ability to do this – Reddit, SuperUser and MicrosoftAnswers being the more prolific.
If you use your computer for business, it’s probably going to be more effective to get someone to do the fix for you. Several providers on Fiverr offer reasonable prices, and of course, you have the local market who will be able to come and give direct support.